Monday, March 16, 2009

Work is it's own cure. You have to like it better than being loved. - Piercy

I'm doing a reading of Cymbeline with a company I've never worked with before: Shakespeare Saturdays.

I got the audition appointment at the last minute. A Shakespeare company I had worked with before sent out the notice to its email list, and I received it at almost midnight the night before the audition. I emailed the artistic director, and thank goodness for blackberry culture* sometimes, because she had checked her email and let me know I had the appointment before 11am.

I went to work (a children's birthday party in Westchester) and then flew down 87 to upper Manhattan. The audition was less structured than I was used to, and certainly less formal with some polite chitchat (email, facebook culture, headshots). I did my Shakespeare monologue (Desdemona), and she asked me to sing sixteen bars a capella and I went with the tune in my head "I Remember". She asked me to dance as I sang the second time, and it was so much fun and my voice was so much more resonant.

And I was cast! I was asked to sing The International Year of Astronomy Song (Up, Up in the Sky) for a Planetarium Lecture Series. And I'll be playing Guiderius in Cymbeline. Quite exciting.
The performance is on March 28th at 1pm.

Soon after I found out that a surprise party, my wedding shower, had been planned for the same time. I've always wanted a surprise party, but I also want to continue to do great theatre work and I had committed to this show. It was an obvious choice for me, and now the date's been rescheduled. Some family didn't understand- it's a major life event! it's a surprise! But the people who understand my passion understood.

I twittered about it, surprised and excited.
And then the other day, the same company asked me to perform in their concert. I was so tickled to have been asked. Until they told me the date: the same date as my wedding.
This was a no-brainer in the other direction. I couldn't cancel my wedding for a concert.

I'm sure that it's not always this easy. But this time, it was.

*Is the plural of the device "blackberries"? or would it be "blackberry's"? Notice my convenient rephrasing.

2 comments:

Jess said...

i love any topic that can be linked to marge piercy
i love that quote
a lot

as for getting the work and doing the shows, good for you! you work your creative juices!!
i know you'll be great.
let me know where stuff is gonna be, and i will come, i would love to see you perform!

Yarasawat (BatGirl!) said...

You really, really wanted a surprise party? I guess it's exciting, but I always was so glad no one ever tried to do that. Eileen was going to for my baby shower, and thank heavens my mom explained that it would not be cool.

I wish I could go to yours! I am so happy for both of these great things! Good luck, or break a leg, or both!